Sunday, November 6, 2011

11 Tools 3_Video Resources

I almost exclusively use YouTube for either popular commercials for propaganda study, shrt dramatizations of stories, or movie clips. I have recently become interested in SchoolTube not so much as a video resource, but as a housing site for student video. I see now that it is a good source. I plan to spend some time re-thinking teacher tube. In its infancy, it was very limiting. I very much look forward to routinely attaching clips to the iPads for group work. I found the clip tool Tube Chop extremely helpful. I have always just manually "clipped" what I wanted to show. This will make it much safer to preview clips that are worthy of a classroom discussion, but contain material that is not. My quest is figure out ViewPure. I post video on the class blog from YouTube for students to view and comment on, but this has required home viewing. This is the same issue when posting to Collaborize for extra class discussions.
I have posted videos on the blog, but have moved towards other on-line platforms for this purpose - the one posted now is the Alfred Hitchcock treatment of Roald Dahl's Lamb to Slaughter.
I think the copyright issue is something that must be taught within the larger context of Digital Citizenship. I didn't find anything new in this inquiry.
There have been many cloud based "collections" platforms I have tried and found that I didn't really use them. I have relied heavily on the 2 Google Docs account that I use: the SBISD Google Apps domain and my private "Big" Google account. I have Cloud Connect on the district laptop but it auto-merges any MS application to my Big Google account. I actually created a DropBox account on a tip from the PLN, before this tool assignment. I am interested in it's use as way to "collect" a variety of teacher instructions and models to take the place of numerous individual documents in Google Docs. I am more interested in having students use it as a more portable and accessible e-portfolio including an images and video collection.

2 comments:

  1. Busy as usual Mr. Jones! YouTube just seems to be the easiest to work with these days, and typically has the best quality. I'll be interested to see what you think about SchoolTube. Picasa wb isn't working out like we had envisioned because we can't control it enough to make it safe for students at this time. I like Dropbox - a classroom Dropbox - to allow students to share their projects between devices - it is a great way to get content off of the iPads...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a tool called WatchTogether. It enables distance viewing of a posted video for reviewing....I have been wanting to get with you as to the mention of the stripping of YouTube for student in-school viewing. I like to post video to my Collaborize site, but it is a home-only affair unless I let the kids access it from my machine...

    ReplyDelete